Why people sweat?
We mainly sweat to cool our bodies down, a process called thermoregulation. Our brain sends signals to perspire, releasing a clear fluid from over 3 million sweat glands (or sudoriferous glands) and as this fluid evaporates from our skin, it lowers our body temperature.
There are many factors that can cause us to perspire, leaving us with sweat from hair and on our skin:
- Hot environments
- General movement and physical activities
- Emotional feelings, including stress
- Eating hot or spicy food
- Side effects from medication or surgery
- Illness, as our bodies fight infections or fevers
- Hormonal changes such as menopause, pregnancy, menstruation or puberty
On this site you’ll find lots of helpful information about how to stop sweat and how Degree can help.
Sweating too much? Discover why people sweat.